Fathers' RightsWe Are Guiding You Every Step of the Way
Hoffman Estates Lawyer for Fathers' Rights
Fighting for Your Parental Rights for 40+ Years
The Law Firm of Caryl Jacobs Gabe, Ltd. is well-versed in father’s rights in Illinois, and as such we’re aware of the challenges that many fathers face in the legal system. Even though Illinois family law courts are moving towards equality for both parents, many men still feel that their rights are not as protected as they should be.
If you are wondering what your rights are as a father and how you can assert those rights effectively, you may benefit from obtaining well-informed legal advice and representation from a knowledgeable fathers' rights attorney, inCook County and all Chicago suburbs.
Are Mothers and Fathers Treated Equally in Court?
Gone are the days when a mother has the upper hand in a courtroom when making decisions for issues like child custody, visitation, and support. Fathers are seen as essential components to a child's healthy upbringing, and the courts are helping to bring this to light by supporting Illinois fathers' rights.
What are Fathers' Rights in Illinois?
Fathers have the following rights in Illinois:
- Time with Their Children: Illinois law recognizes the importance of a father's role in a child's life.
- Establishing Paternity: Unmarried fathers can establish paternity through a voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity or a court order to secure parental rights.
- Important Decision Making: Fathers have the right to participate in important decisions regarding their child's education, healthcare, religion, and extracurricular activities.
- The Right to Child Custody: Courts prioritize the best interests of the child when determining custody arrangements, ensuring fathers have an equal opportunity to seek joint or sole custody.
- The Right to Child Support: Fathers are entitled to accurate and fair child support calculations based on income, ensuring financial contributions are justly distributed.
- Enforcement of Fathers' Rights: Fathers can seek legal remedies to enforce their parental rights when the other parent obstructs visitation or violates court orders.
- Fathers' Rights and Paternity Fraud: Fathers have legal recourse if they suspect paternity fraud, protecting their rights and ensuring accurate parentage determination.
At the Law Firm of Caryl Jacobs Gabe, Ltd. in Hoffman Estates, our dedicated fathers' right lawyer is committed to protecting and advocating for the rights of fathers in Illinois. Contact us today for a personalized consultation tailored to your specific needs.
When Should I Hire a Parental Rights Attorney to Represent Me?
There are many legal circumstances in which a father can benefit from strong representation in Illinois family court. Below are some of the situations in which we strongly recommend retaining a Hoffman Estates fathers' rights lawyer:
- To contest or question being named the father in an out-of-wedlock pregnancy
- To assert your child custody or visitation rights for a child born out of wedlock
- To reevaluate the appropriate amount of child support provided
- To receive child support from the child's other parent
- To establish fair custody and visitation rights in the event of a divorce
- To have equal standing as the parent of your child, regardless of a previous relationship
Why Establishing Paternity is Important
One of the most critical steps to fighting for your rights is to establish paternity. Without proof of paternity, a mother will be able to make all the important decisions such as where the child will go to school and receive healthcare.
Once paternity has been established, the judge will decide what is in the best interests of the child when ruling on issues such as custody. Each parent will be evaluated for their mental health, history of violence, and the parent's desire to have custody.
How to Establish Paternity in IL
You can establish paternity in four ways in Illinois:
- Marrying the mother of your child
- Voluntary Acknowledgement of Paternity (VAP)
- Paternity suit brought to the attention of the court
- Paternity order issued by the Department of Healthcare and Family Services’ Child Support Services
How Does a Father Get Visitation Rights in Illinois?
As discussed, the rights of the father have greatly improved over the years, especially once paternity has been established. These rights are applicable to visitation as well, not just custody. When a father files for visitation, it is important that he proves one or more of the following to the judge.
In Illinois, a father must prove the following the get visitation rights:
- The relationship with the child is healthy and fully intact
- There is a strong desire to be part of the child's life. This can be shown by expressing interest in the child's schooling, healthcare, and extracurricular activities.
- He has the capacity, both physically and mentally, to put the child's best interests first.
- There is no history of child abuse or neglect.
- He is willing to work and compromise with both the court and the custodial parent
Call Our Parental Rights Attorney in Hoffman Estates to Fight for Your Rights as a Father Today
Whether you are concerned about matters of child support, custody, or visitation, the Law Firm of Caryl Jacobs Gabe, Ltd. is fully prepared to aggressively protect your parental rights. Although the legal system may seem complex or hostile, you can rest assured that our attorneys for father's rights in Chicago prioritize defending the best interests of you and your child.
Our Hoffman Estates fathers' rights attorneys respect your rights as a father. We will fight to maximize your chances of receiving fair and equal treatment under the law.
Read a review from a father we have helped in the past:
Contact or call our attorneys for father's rights in Chicago at (847) 278-2851to schedule a free consultation and discuss your rights as a father in Hoffman Estates, Palatine, Schaumburg, Inverness, or surrounding Cook County.
Please read our reviews showcasing our clients' experience with our law firm. They demonstrate our commitment to provide high quality representation to our clients. We are dedicated to client feedback, we listen to our clients, and strive to provide the best service possible.
We appreciate our clients taking the time to share their experiences. If you have had a positive experience working with our firm, we invite you to leave us a review online.
“Thank you for all you did for me during that difficult time.”- Michael Davis
“Thank you very much for all your work”- Silverio B.
“I am forever indebted to you for stepping in and taking my case.”- Dana R.
“Thank you for all that you did for me. It will not be forgotten.”- S.N.
“I will be recommending many more people to her. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you.”- E.B.
“I highly recommend her if you are going through a divorce. She is an expert and extremely professional!!!”- B.A
“A true professional in every sense of the word.”- I.C.
“Caryl Jacobs Gabe saved my life!!!! Beyond grateful!!”- Christine
We offer flexible appointment availability & 24-hour call answering service.