Cook County Alimony Attorney
Factors Considered in a Spousal Support Case
Alimony, also referred to as spousal support, is financial support that may be awarded to either spouse following a divorce. Rather than basing spousal support on who is at-fault for a divorce, alimony is calculated based on a variety of factors.
If both parties are able to support themselves, the court does not have to award alimony to either individual. At the Law Firm of Caryl Jacobs Gabe, Ltd., our Cook County alimony lawyer can provide strategic legal representation to maximize your chances of obtaining an outcome in your favor.
If you have a spousal support case, contact us today for a free consultation!
Family law courts consider the following factors for alimony cases:
- Specific financial needs
- Present and future earning capacity
- Current income and property
- Standard of living during the marriage
- Length of the marriage
- Age, physical, and mental condition
- Damage to earning capacity of one spouse due to domestic duties or passing up education, training, employment, or career opportunities during the marriage
- Contributions to the other spouse's education, training, or career
- Time that it will take for the other spouse to obtain the education, training, or employment necessary to support themselves
- Tax consequences on each spouse's financial situation of property division
Protecting Your Financial Future
We understand that divorce and alimony cases can be confusing, overwhelming, and very emotionally charged. With the financial future of you and your family at stake, you need an experienced lawyer to protect your rights, provide aggressive legal representation, and fight for the outcome that you need. No matter how complex your case may be, we are well-prepared to take it on. We work quickly to improve your chances of a successful outcome so you can move forward with your life.
We proudly serve the following areas: Palatine, Barrington, South Barrington, Barrington Hills, Hoffman Estates. Contact or call our office today at (847) 278-2851 and schedule a free initial consultation!